Monday, November 24, 2008

Hello again!

I've been thinking a lot about this blog.  For starters, I missed you guys.  What I actually do is walk around the streets of San Francisco writing the blog in my head.  So that by the time I actually might make time to update it, those words have long since disappeared to the non-existent audience in my head.  Alas.  

What I think is that I will stop apologizing for being remiss in writing.  I even had conjured up in my head (oh, about a month ago) something clever about how this blog was Ian's puppy.  How he made it, promised he would feed it and take it out, but when he finally got the puppy, his parents actually had to nurture it.

I digress.  Back to my original reason for posting.  I've been thinking about why Ian created this blog to begin with.  While it's since turned into a narrative of "we did this, we did that:" essentially a good way to stay connected with our loved ones, it ends up getting away from its original design, which is actually selfish by nature.  It was originally set up to document our life in San Francisco.  The title, "Making it our Mission," while sounding completely dedicated or almost religious, is actually a pun on our neighborhood, the Mission.  It's supposed to be all about our discovery of the city, or settling into new life.  Selfishly, it would be great to look back on this and remember when.

We've passed a pretty big milestone in our absence from writing.  Our 1-year anniversary since moving here.  Unfortunately, we did start the blog much later.  But if I were to comment on our 1-year, I'd say something about how different it all is now.  How when we first moved here, we felt like glorified tourists for a long time.  Or, how we made such a big deal about how we needed to explore, how we needed to take advantage of living in such a great city.

All of those things have evolved.  It's not that we don't try to take advantage now.  In fact, in the past few months we've really been enjoying the city.  But I will say that what's changed is the constant desire to feel obligated to explore and discover.  What I've learned about San Francisco is that it has a pulse of its own.  There's a distinct vibration, and maybe once you stop trying to find every nook and cranny of each neighborhood, you'll notice it.  Because it's always there.

When we moved here over a year ago, we stayed in temporary housing in Nob Hill, right on the Cable Car line.  If you've ever been near a cable car line, you'll know that there is this constant humming.  Of electricity in the tracks.  That's what this city has all the time--a life, a vibration.  It's constant and everyone and everything is a part of it.  It seems like it's living to me.

If I wanted to run down the list of things that we've done since we last wrote: Yosemite Park for a weekend and our 2-year wedding anniversary.  Yes, two years!  Seems so long ago, and it's truly odd how I love being married more each day.  I should qualify that.  I love being married to Ian each more every single day.  It's an amazing feeling.

Yosemite was incredible.  We stayed at a bed and breakfast, the weather was lovely.  I have to say that every scene looks like a fake backdrop.  It was majestic, and it's incredible that we're so close to such magnificence.

I've been to Toronto for work (my first time there as an adult)--it was good.  Ian came with me up to Seattle, and we had a great time exploring around.  I actually was just back there last week.  What else?  Our brother-in-law (Hilliary's hubby) came during a business trip and we had a nice dinner together.  The following weekend, Ian's parents came to visit, and Hilliary surprised him by also coming for his birthday.  The weekend after that, our good friend Carmen came to visit.  I've been to Napa (twice)--ridiculous that it's only an hour away...my heros live there (at least the ones I like to drink).  It was like going on a Beverly Hills star home tour if I were into celebrities.  I mean, imagine rows and rows of your favorite wineries!  I was star-struck.

Alas, here we are and it's Thanksgiving.  My bro and Dad are flying here tomorrow, and I can't wait!  

Other item of note is that my office moved...I now work "at the mall."  At least our offices are right above the main enormous mall in SF, and so my life has taken a turn as a result.  I can go into more detail later.

I guess this is just more introductory to say we've been really busy and enjoying life.  But I do want to get this blog back to where it started and to focus on San Francisco and our life here, how we've adjusted and found balance.  It's been such an interesting city to get to know intimately.  Sometimes I feel like I know it so well and nothing surprises me.  Other times, I look around at all the familiar places and everything seems new all over again.

We both joined yelp.com and review restaurants and places that way.  You can look us up and our reviews.  So, we may not review so much here.  Just know we're brunching it every weekend like normal, but we do try to cook more at home.  :)

Enough for now.  Just know that I know this blog is in serious need of attention, which it will get.  Just maybe in a different way.

No comments: