Saturday, May 3, 2008

Back In SF *sigh*

Getting home last Sunday from my travels, I had the whole day ahead of me. It was a gorgeous, warm and sunny day in SF. I waited for Ian to get home from his visit with cousin James in LA (unpacking, starting laundry, checking email, etc)...bringing my suitcase down to the storage room in the basement, I was greeted by new, sublime blooms in the courtyard. Love it...


When Ian walked through the door, it was a great reunion! It was fun giving him his presents. Maybe he'll talk about it on this post, but likely not as he might come across too nerdy. I went to some lengths to find him a pair of authentic Japanese selvedge denim, so I started the gifts with the Yokohama Baystar's baseball t-shirt, and the panda cookies from the zoo. The grand finale was the jeans. He has since turned into a man determined to shrink them properly (as I type, the jeans are soaking in a hot tub--now, there's the life--with perfectly cut wood boards nestled in the waist band to achieve the perfect shrinkage).

We headed down to Tartine for some sandwiches, and took them with us to Dolores Park. It was a busy, busy day at the park. Tons of hula hoopers everywhere--I have no idea if this is a normal weekend thing, a monthly get together, or what, but they're pretty talented. We sat for a bit, then finally tried the much talked about Bi-Rite Creamery, just across from the park. They are makers of artisanal ice cream, and I had to try 2 scoops--one of the salted caramel, the other of honey lavendar. For me, the honey lavendar won. Ian, of course, settled into an ice cream sundae.


Returning to work Monday was strange--I hadn't been around for 2 weeks. Tuesday, again, I was off to Seattle for a big meeting and happy hour. Wednesday, up before dawn and back on a plane to SF. Sheesh. By Wednesday night, I was exhausted. Jet lag from Tokyo or not, I was just plain sleepy.

Hooray for amazing husbands who make a run to Whole Foods after work and have dinner on the table for me when I get home. And not just any dinner but rice with delicious sauteed veggies, steamed asparagus, NY Strips, and a bottle of red. A perfect end to an already long beginning of week.


Now it's Saturday night--I slept in this morning, and we had a lovely brunch at Mission Beach (some things are always comforting)--we attended a Kentucky Derby party this afternoon at a nearby friends' house. It was super fun, and brought me back to the ol' Kentucky ways. Memories of Keeneland, Maker's Mark Mint Juleps, and that certain Southern accent...

If I were an octopus, my name would be Eunice.

No comments: