Friday, May 30, 2008

Mid May...Almost June!

Oh, weeks have passed. I'll try to recap what we've been up to in a brief sort of way (yes, I know--you're unsure if I'm capable of brief).

Things have been busy. In a good way. Big news is that Ian and I both broke down and now have California driver's licenses (and a license plate to go with them). It's a good step, I think, especially because Ian's gung-ho attitude to get switched over was on the heels of all our recent conversations about being happy about where we are. His change of heart to truly invest in our move and decision (truly, truly invest) has been growing for quite some time, and one day he sort of woke up and decided to make our new home a permanent thing in switching insurance, plates, and licenses.

He had always had in the back of his mind that we would be here temporarily, and then we would move back to North Carolina (where it's comfortable). But more and more he's saying that he doesn't really see that happening--it's almost like he's recognized this world and our life is where we want to make it, and it's our decision. And I think he's loving the idea of it. As for me, well--it's kind of something I always knew anyway. We just needed a push.

These trees are bloominig everywhere in SF, and are just plain fun and furry. Speaking of blooms, I spent hours clearing out our back courtyard, and planted new flowers (a lavender busy, cosmos, snapdragons, petunias, etc). It's very rewarding. Our flower boxes are also full of color.




My good friend Jenn (my sister, really) stopped in to see us for a few days last week. She's bravely leaving Anchorage, Alaska, and has been traveling for about a month to get here--her destination is Kentucky, where we met--I'm hoping she's there by now. It was a good week of having dinners with her, brunch, drinks. Just catching up after the many years apart. We had one really amazing dinner at Fleur de Lys, and found a new delicious brunch place, Absinthe in Hayes Valley.


The other thing we've been keeping ourselves busy with is couple dating. I have no other term for it. Basically, we've been really pushing our boundaries lately and going out with couples we don't know well. Someone we knew at McKinney moved back here, so we had dinner with her and her husband (who we hadn't met before). We had brunch with friends of friends, which was also fun. Last week, we had dinner at our landlord's place, and they invited the couple next door to us. It's more about us meeting new people and trying to make good, happy connections. We've even invited a couple I know for dinner next week.

And so here we are ending another week. If I were a pig, my name would be Perry.

No comments: