Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mini-trip to Seattle

Had another mini-trip to Seattle this week. There was some Microsoft conference, so I actually wasn't able to find any hotel close.

Fortunately, there was still an approved hotel. And even luckier, it happened to be the Willows Lodge. I had been there once (taking clients to lunch at the Barking Frog), and had always wanted to go back. Well then, here was my chance.

I rented a car and met my boss Carrie for a few minutes to check out some houses in Seattle (don't ask...just looking). Then I drove north to Woodinville, Washington, which is a sort of wine country.

It's just gorgeous. Really gorgeous. And I thought I was in absolute heaven.

First, they're doggy friendly (they even have a dine with your dog program). I was greeted by a lazy "lodge dog" Ruthie (a mix of Bassett Hound and Rottweiler). When I say greeted, I guess she actually just raised her eyes from lazy lids at me, and flipped her tail once or twice while snuggled in her raised bed next to the reception.

When I walked into the room...well, there aren't words, and pictures absolutely don't suffice.


The fireplace was lit, music was playing. It was a mix of craftsman style with lodge--large wooden beams, slate accents, warm rich colors. An enormous soaking tub next to a large window facing TV and fireplace.

A large walk-in shower with digital-controlled temperature. A balcony overlooking the most serence landscape, including a lush weeping willow (my favorite tree!).

I never wanted to leave, but as it was 8:30, I walked across the parking lot to the Barking Frog, where I enjoyed a cocktail, a glass of Viognier, Grand Marnier marinated prawns, and snapper with a sweet potato cake and wonderful succotash.

Full and sleepy, I walked back to the room, and straight away began to fill up the tub. It took such a long time because the tub was huge. No complaints here. I put the Karate Kid on TV, slipped in the tub, and had a chat with my hubbie, who had been to the Giants game (impromptu, with amazing seats....). I wish I could have stayed here forever, and look forward to making it back.

The next morning I woke up early in order to enjoy the room service (brioche french toast, french pressed coffee), enjoy the room, the view...

Before heading to my meetings in Bellevue. Driving was really fun (I never drive here), and the weather was lovely for Seattle. The meetings went well. Ended early, I hopped on an early flight, and Ian picked me up. Good times.

If I were a barking frog, my name would be Jean Claude.

No comments: