Friday, August 21, 2009

And we're rolling on....

My feet are huge. I am calling them my piggies. Or, it's like someone just inflated a latex glove and tried to stuff it in my sandals or flats. They're enormous, whiter than usual, puffy, and ridiculous. I hate them.

I'm hoping it's temporary. I'm hoping that they will reduce quickly--as though someone took a pin to them and they whirled around the air aimlessly, all the while getting smaller and smaller. To the size they should be. To the size that makes them comfortable to fit into my shoes. Or at least to the size where it isn't painful.

I'm going to blame it on New York. I've been in New York City this week--since Sunday, and just returned last night. It was an inauguration of sorts to step back into the East Coast humidity. It just happened to also be 100 degrees on top of that. Holy great goodness, am I happy to be pregnant on the west coast! In cities like SF and Seattle, where humidity is unheard of, and high temperatures a bit rare to find. And if it is hot, all I need to do is walk on the shady side of the street.

I'm blaming my feet on New York, because that's when--for the first time--they blew up like this. There was a woman Ian and I used to work with, and she was pregnant a few times while we worked there. Ian and I set a certain bar against her. Remaining nameless, we call her condition, "First name X/ last name Y pregnant" which is a different type of pregnant than normal pregnancies. It means that you blow up like a balloon and it's something I wished would not happen to me. But I have First name X/last name Y feet. It's depressing.

I walked a lot in NY. And it was stuffy and hot. And then I flew back yesterday amidst multiple delays and cancellations, and ended up back in Seattle a full 8 hours after my expected arrival time. Perhaps flying didn't help either.

But today, they're still a bit swollen and painful, and look ridiculous in the sandals I wore today. Alas, enough about my feet and being pregnant. I guess the last thing I will say is that all is well in that department. I'm at 21 weeks, and recently feel like I blew up (or out, I should say).

On the subway in NY, I had someone offer up their seat for me. A young woman--how sweet! It was a first. I also made friends with the man at the Westin checking me in, when he asked and found out I was having identical twin girls--he just had twin girls 3 weeks ago. He came around the counter, digital camera in tow, to share pictures with me.

I had a huge meeting in NY that I'm so relieved is over. My past 2 months have been revolving around build up for this meeting. I was so nervous, that pit in my stomach having a hard time fighting for room with the girls. But the meeting was better than I could have asked for, and I really wished at that moment I could have a huge, celebratory alcoholic beverage. But alas, I have to wait for many more months. It's tough.

I was also spoiled in NY because I got to hang out with my good Hippo friend Kirsten on multiple nights. It was like we lived in the same place again--meeting after work for dinner or a movie (or both). It was so comfortable and fun, and at the same time felt completely natural. Sad that we're not closer, but don't you love having those friends you can fall back to and it's like no time has ever passed?

In other news, I wish Ian would write on this blog! He has been single-handedly exploring the city during the day, in between networking and working on freelance jobs. He admitted to me last night that he's in love with Seattle, and is sooo happy we moved here. He's also been spending time with his new BFF, Paul, my good friend (and boss)'s hubby. He's even out tonight with other friends, and I think Seattle will be good to him. Good to us. :)

In other news, we spent our first weekend here really diving in. Saturday morning went for brunch in Capitol Hill (it was OK, not our favorite place), and then went to the Science Fiction and Experience Music Project museum. I just had to go there because they were hosting my dream exhibit--a whole exhibition on Jim Henson!! The exhibit left a tiny bit to be desired, but can you believe I got to see a real Kermit, Rowlf, Bert & Ernie, and Gobo? Not to mention all of the sketches, original commercials, ideas coming to life...what a genius. Ian enjoyed the Jimi Hendrix exhibit, and the history of guitars...and even the Science Fiction portion was cool--we saw ET, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, and Yoda.

That night, we went to Carrie and Paul's house--her brother and his girlfriend were there, along with her best friend Annie. We ordered in Thai and then just hung out--watched a few episodes of a show, and walked up to 45th street to Molly Moon's--maker of delicious homemade ice cream and treats. You have to love a place that makes waffle cones (on a waffle machine) right before your eyes and serves them up slightly warm. Delicious. No wonder there was a line down the street. On the walk back to their place, we ran into another friend from work and her husband, who only live a few blocks away.

Sunday we had a better brunch in Capitol Hill, and then hit the open house circuit. I think we must have seen 12 or so? It was exhausting, and honestly slightly disappointing because the only thing we fell in love with was way out of our price range.

Monday was a different day. I saw a house go on the market in Wallingford (the neighborhood we love, where Carrie and Paul live). The house was actually in our price range (rare for that area), but no pictures were posted yet. Ian decided to do a drive by, and then somehow worked his way in to see the house that day--it was brand new on the market.

Next thing I knew, I was going to see it too, with our realtor, and we decided to put in an offer. Long story short--we're under contract and close on or before 9/23. Hooray! It's only a block from 45th--where the great ice cream place is--and is quiet. It has an incredible garden, and requires only cosmetic work (it has a lot of wallpaper). Super exciting news. Financing is so tricky, though, so we'll see if we pass through. It's well within the budget we created for ourselves, but with Ian freelancing, it's a bit tricky to navigate financial approval waters.

Not much else to report other than those things--we did go to a concert last Saturday in Marymoor park--interesting to see how Seattleites differ from other places / people we've been. Was a nice outdoor show with beautiful weather.

So, that's it for now. I'm going to prop up the piggies, and eat some food. Maybe it will distract me from the girls completely doing acrobatics right now.

No comments: