Monday, November 9, 2009

Bracing ourselves, and storing for the winter.

Finally, after all this time being dedicated to settling in and doctor's appointments and work and seemingly everything else under the sun, we are focusing on these little girls that are about to enter our lives.

With the birth of little baby nephew Lucas, with our weekly Preparing for Multiples class, with the crazy baby dreams that just started last week, with the awareness of contractions and how big they're getting...well, I'm listening, and I feel you're on your way.

We had finally bothered to register for the girls a few weeks ago. Even though we're not having a shower, we had some people ask. I know for one that I was stressing Stephanie out big time--every time I spoke to her, and she asked how the nursery was coming along, or what we've gotten for the girls, my answer was pretty much always the same: "well, we have some clothes, but that's about it." She was stressed for us.

So, the boxes started arriving, and Ian and I finally got it in us to arrange furniture and make it look more like a room (less like an extra bedroom to store stuff in). Of course, the room is tiny and it fits the one crib perfectly. Eventually--and from what we hear, a few months down the road--the second crib will need to come into effect, and we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Things will be a bit tight at that point.

Regardless, while I'm putting tiny socks into drawers, or folding little hooded towels, it is still so hard to imagine them coming. It's hard to imagine what our lives are about to become, how we'll cope, what they'll look and act like. I just can't even wrap my head around it. We gave the new changing pad a test run with our baby stand-in (a Giraffe). He was a good little baby--hardly made a sound or move before we put him back in the crib. Still hard to imagine the real thing, and how we'll actually be using the room and what we'll use and when. Just crazy to think about.

Ian even finished up the mobile and hung it yesterday, and I think it's super cute (he's pretty proud of it himself). I really love the way it turned out, and I hope the girls like looking up at them.

And I'm started to get excited about Christmas, even though we haven't done any shopping and it is also hard to imagine. I feel like it will be a gift card year, especially since we're all the way over here. My Dad will be here for Christmas--which is super fun news, but other than that--I guess we'll be doing a lot of gift shipping. Regardless, Christmas in a new house is fun--deciding how to decorate and what new traditions might crop up.

And can you even believe Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner? Not me! Sheesh. My brother Jeff will be visiting us--how lucky are we that people are willing to travel the 3,000+ miles to hang out with us. Still so much to do with the house, but these things will take time.

Anyway, I guess that's it for now. Pretty boring entry, but I feel like we're closer and closer to being ready for our family to double.

1 comment:

The Whitsons said...

so, the other week, i had a dream that we came out to see you and we met the kids. Isabell and Henry. Obviously the doctor was off on the 'both girls' and 'identical' thing :)
So random! ~marianna