Sunday, November 1, 2009

Seattle so far....

In phases, I'm going to catch you up to date with some things we've been up to--granted, not everything, but just a couple of the major things.

Victoria
We spent our anniversary weekend in the city of Victoria, on Vancouver Island. It was a gorgeous weekend, and we had a perfect time.
We took the Clipper--about 3 hours, and arrived in the sunny harbor city. Highlights of the trip were walking the town, and discovering its extremely cute, quaint, and historic shops and boutiques, a tour of the nearby castle, food!, and the wax museum (yes, cheesy, but it was fun).

Moving In
Next major event was closing on the house (finally!) and moving in. We've officially been in the house just over a month, and boy has there been a lot of work to do. On the 5th day of our move-in, Ian's parents came to visit for a week. They were a HUGE help to us, taking down loads of wallpaper, making countless trips to Home Depot, swapping out fixtures, installing a dishwasher, painting....the list goes on. There's still a lot of work to do, which we'll tackle over time. But the main things have been taken care of initially.
Other Things
We got an annual membership to the Woodland Park Zoo--it's really close to our house, and is great. It's kind of like a large park, which happens to have animals in it. And the habitats seem nicer than the SF Zoo, which is nice. We particularly enjoyed the orangutan, who draped a blanket over his head and played up to the crowd.
Ian also celebrated his 30th birthday! That weekend, Carrie and Paul had us over for dinner and a movie. The next day we had a neighborhood potluck with a lot of my co-workers, (Ian and baked pumpkin cheesecake), and then carved pumpkins in the neighborhood, which was pretty fun and festive. Apparently, every year this guy Gene (who lives across the street from Carrie and Paul) buys hundreds of pumpkins, and invites the whole neighborhood to drop in and carve. He has all these stations set up, and provides stew and drinks. Then he lines all the pumpkins down the stairs and along the wall in front of his house. Good times.
The following day (Monday) was Ian's birthday. I surprised him by taking the day off, and we spent a relaxing day together--got a late brunch, went to see a movie, had a delicious dinner.

Ian and I started a pregnancy class a couple of weeks ago--Preparing for Multiples. It has been really interesting, and we like our teacher tons. There are still 3 classes left, so I hope I can make it that long--the good stuff is in the last 2 weeks.

But as we both mentioned in our last couple of posts, I've been prescribed to bed rest (at least for the next week). This weekend has been kind of a bummer because of it. Mainly because I feel fine and the weather was seriously gorgeous. And I stayed inside all day both days (stepping out last night to go to Paul and Carrie's--where they fed me delicious lamb stew and we passed out candy to the tons and tons of kids. Everyone gets so into it here! How much fun.

And then the final most fun news is that Ian and I become an aunt and uncle last week. Ian is now visiting his new nephew (plus, the rest of his family) right now. It sounds like he's having fun, and I'm just really happy that he was able to make it, especially before it gets too crazy for Hilliary and Francois (with the guests they're about to have, moving into a new house, etc).

But of course, I miss him.

It's crazy I'm in my 31st week of pregnancy. Not much time left, I suppose. I am hoping the girls appreciate my sedentary weekend, and that it has the effect it's supposed to on their fluid levels. Looking forward to finding out at the end of next week...
Oh! And we had been working on a project--I think I'm leaving the last part of it for Ian to finish up. We bought fabric and sewed a bunch of birds in order to create a mobile for the girls. Our birds are pictured here. It was actually a really fun project to work on together (and Ian is such a good sewer!).

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Oh, I miss you Lori! Sending you strength during bedrest... I know that must feel impossible. By the way, I had a very funny memory the other day and it made me laugh out loud: one evening when you wanted to leave the Lantern early and darted behind bushes all the way down Franklin Street so no one could ¨follow¨ you.