Monday, November 23, 2009

The transition home.

I was discharged from the hospital Wednesday night, in time for Ian to wheel me to our last twins class, where we practiced changing diapers, bathing, and focusing on pain (or focusing away from pain).


Finding out I'm outta there!

View from my bed with lovely flowers. :)





It was odd being able to leave the hospital. Just walking out (or being wheeled out) in normal clothing. First time I had worn real clothes in almost a week.


Ian drove me home and it was a great homecoming. The house was sparkling clean, and Ian had really done a lot of work rearranging some furniture, hanging more pictures, putting finishing touches on the nursery. The biggest surprise was that he had painted the kitchen, and I love it! My favorite was the chalkboard wall, which we had talked about doing. It was such a nice surprise, and it looks great.
I felt like I was coming home to something that felt more like home, as it still had not quite felt homey since moving in.


Since then, I've had mixed feelings. It's hard to be discharged with the orders to have the same activity level that I had when in the hospital--only up for bathroom breaks and one short shower a day. It's actually close to impossible. While Ian is on standby at all times, at the hospital you're forced to stay put, and have to have everything brought to you. And you never get dressed. There was such a routine to it that I had gotten used to--it's hard to mimic and feel ok with yourself at home.


I had an appointment Thursday with my doctor, and they put me on the monitors for a bit. Pretty much the same as it has been--plenty of contractions, but the babies look great. I also had my last IV iron transfusion, which was really easy. Hope it took effect!


One of Ian's best friends from college and his girlfriend also came to visit, and stayed with us Friday and Saturday night. It was my first opportunity to hang out with them, but kind of a bummer since I wasn't so mobile and had to sit like a bump on a log. At least Ian was able to take them out to the local pub Friday, and then Saturday they were out and about pretty much all day.


Today I am preparing myself to head back to the doctor for another round of tests and checkups. I have labs first (I have enjoyed not getting blood drawn twice a day), then to ultrasound to check the girls' fluids, then back to my doctor's for review and monitoring. We'll see what comes of today. It's one of those things that can change so quickly--with this visit, they might just send me home until the next appointment. Or, they can deliver me or hospitalize me again. It's really a crapshoot.


My brother Jeff is coming to visit us tomorrow for Thanksgiving, and is staying through Saturday. I'm really looking forward to the visit, but again--a tiny bit bummed out that I can't do anything.


Also, last night I discovered that we have city views from our living room window! Exciting. Because the leaves finally dropped from the tree in front of our window, we can see a bit of the skyline...

Alright, more later. We'll let you know how things go today.

No comments: