Sunday, February 17, 2008

Girl's weekend Feb 2008

Well hello there! Happy Sunday. I'm just sitting by the fireplace in comfy clothes, watching an America's Next Top Model marathon. It's such a trap...

Friday was really fun--my friend Kirsten (hereafter in the blog referred to as K-Dawg), came from NYC Thursday evening. Friday, we woke up and ran over to Mission Beach Cafe for coffee and a pastry. It was nice for once to be able to sit and enjoy coffee during a work day, and not feel rushed or late. Lovely.

Friday can really be summed up as walking, walking, walking. We wandered down Valencia and Guerrero, and Church, popping in and out of boutiques. It's fun to go with K-Dawg because she works as an Assistant Decorating Editor for a magazine, so she knows a lot of the artists and designers featured in these stores. We had lunch at Fritjz--crepes and great Belgian fries with dipping sauce.

We decided to get a pedicure, and were able to get an appointment--to kill time in the interim, we stopped at Duboce Park. It was such a gorgeous day.


We then ran to our pedicure, and made the hike home to get ready for dinner.

Dinner was at delicious Luna Park. We started off with Mojito's, then the grilled artichoke (very yummy). A bottle of Viognier and sea bass and ravioli...mm mm mm.

Here's a really dark obviously self-taken picture of us at dinner.




After dinner, we decided to go dancing. It was pretty amusing, especially since I have no idea where to go out since we've been here--Ian and I have yet to go "out" to a club or something (aside from the periodic happy hour situation with my co-workers).

We walked down Market toward the Castro, and settled on the best gay bar that we could tell had music we might enjoy. I just can't get into dancing to trance / techno. So, we popped in a bar (I have no idea what it's called), but there were of course the sculpted men dancing ini their briefs and boots on the bar, on risers, etc. We got a couple of drinks and headed to the dance floor. It was highly entertaining and fun, but eventually (within the hour) turned into a crazy place. DIfferent racial, cultural, socio-economic groups moved in and fought for dance real estate. It was just getting rougher out there, which wasn't fun. It was when there was a near all-out brawl between a group of outspoken African-American women, and gay men that I pulled K-Dawg aside and said, "now is a good time to go." It was good timing. As we were leaving we were witness to a man running at full force to get into the club, and running smack into the closed door / wall. He didn't even put up protest when the bouncer told him he wasn't allowed in. Poor drunk guy just stood there sullenly.

Saturday morning, neither K-Dawg or I felt amazing. Something had upset our stomachs at dinner, unfortunately, and we both woke up with headaches. We had brunch at Andalu. We wish we had gotten a picture in retrospect, but K-Dawg ordered a mexican scramble that actually looked like orange throw-up. It was yucky looking, and we dubbed it Barfy Brunch for the rest of the day (as it took K a few hours to recover from it).

We headed to Union Square, and took it easy--went into a few shops, sat in Union Square (where we were assaulted by pigeons, and K sat in pigeon poop--her outfit then known as Doo Doo Dress).

We made a couple more pit stops at in Lower Haight and back in my hood before heading over to Foreign Cinema for dinner.



The food was amazing, the atmosphere was amazing--La Vie en Rose was playing. I loved it.

Finally, we walked home, started a fire, made some hot tea and got a perfect guilty pleasure on Demand: The Nanny Diaries. You might think this is a light fluffy movie, but it's actually very sad, mainly from its realistic social commentary. I forgot Laura Linney was in the movie (or maybe I never knew it at all), but she played a very different character from what I'm used to seeing her in.

We watched a bit more TV, and ended up in bed.

I took K-Dawg to the airport bright and early in the morning. It was good to get up, and now I'm here, reading emails, catching up on work. I have no idea what I want to do today. It's cloudy and colder. I want to do something fun, but I'm just tired and want to veg a little bit. I started to read Love in the TIme of Cholera Thursday, and would love to get deeper.

I miss Ian. Glad he's having a fun time. Can't wait to see him Tuesday.

If I were a pillow, my name would be Andy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those pictures are so hippo-esque! sorry we missed out, next time:)

barfy brunch is so gross, but sometimes life is gross.

Kirsten said...

doo doo dress is still dirty - i might need to toss it :/

i miss you hippo!