Sunday, February 3, 2008

Superbowl Sunday is the new Black Friday

Ian let me sleep in today. Ever since we've been here (and have not had our dog Howard with us), I have fallen back into my older ways of sleeping in. I secretly love it (because I've always loved sleeping in), although it's not met without some feelings of guilt creeping in along with the sunlight.

Ian finally opened curtains wide to show me that today was not a rainy day (at least, it wasn't in the morning). We had a lazy morning of cereal and TV, and went off to Union Square for a bit of lunch and shopping.

We stopped first for deem sum at Yank Sing, near my office. That place is wonderful. Not as fun for two people, as the propensity to stuff yourself is higher (hence the ability to try different things lower). But you have to love a place that you barely have your jacket off and a tray of food is in front of you. The service is so friendly, and the food is great. Basically, there isn't a menu. They just bring by carts and carts of food, and you point at what you want. Then, they give you a stamp on your card to indicate how much your total will be in the end. It's lovely.

Directly afterwards, it was off shopping. And shopping did we do. Man. Union Square was refreshingly sparse (at least, as sparse as it gets). No battling crowds of lost tourists, or people who make last minute decisions and dead stop in the sidewalk, letting you run right into their heels.

We hit A.G. (I still just love stores that offer bottled water while you shop), Anthropologie, French Connection, North Face, etc...hitting all the amazing sales everyone seemed to have. I have declared Super Bowl Sunday the new Black Friday. Not only was it not crowded, however, but everyone is getting in their Spring Collections, and putting their winter on final clearance.

Anyway, Ian and I spent a good amount of money and I wiped out my gift cards from Christmas. It was satisfying and productive and just plain good times.

As soon as we got home and unloaded, Ian left to meet an old colleague from N.C. for dinner, and I thought that I would eat at Mission Beach instead of home.

I felt guilty when I sat down at Mission Beach and learned that they had a seafood risotto special (because Ian loves it so). I had that (and it was fantastic), and my fave glass of wine there. I read a little of my book, and watched the world go by. The best part is that I got two of our favorite desserts to go, and when Ian gets home we can have dessert together and chat about our respective nights.

We're back to work tomorrow. Oh, Mondays. But at least we have new clothes to wear. That's always fun.

'til next time.

No comments: