Sunday, February 10, 2008

PUBLIC NOTICE--PLEASE READ

I hate to have to bring this up here. I do. But something needs to be done on a greater scale.

When I was in college, I worked for a consulting firm. The COO was a bit of an arrogant man's man, and I thought his behavior was a little singular. But, come to think of it, he was from California. Please don't tell me this is a California thing (I don't think it is). But, the COO would sit on speaker phone, and actually clip his fingernails. He'd wave me in if I were at the door with files, be sitting there chatting, and clipping away--SNIP (clink--the sound of fingernail landing), SNIP (clink), SNIP (clink). GROSS!


And here, twice this weekend! In fact, twice in a 24-hour period, TWO different people clipping their fingernails in public.

People--I'm here to tell you. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. A lot of you reading the blog are friends and family, so I don't expect that this pertains to you. But help spread the word. If we were able to vote on a law banning this, I would be the first in line at the polls.

Saturday, at an outdoor cafe, a man was actually cutting his nails at the table during lunch! WHAT?!?! He thinks this is OK? The worst part about public clipping is that they aren't harnessing the cast-off nails anywhere. He's likely leaving them on the table! The chairs! One word for this: Ew.


No one should have to eat lunch to the sound of a strange man clipping his fingernails, and the light clink of the nail landing somewhere.

The second instance was on the MUNI today. Luckily, Ian had his trusty iPhone with him.


And we snapped a shot to prove it. The lady and her kid sitting next to us were also disgusted, and when the lady clipping her nails got off the train, the boy said, "Mommy, that lady finally got off!" Good thing SOMEONE is teaching our youth some common etiquette.


2 comments:

The Whitsons said...

um, yeah, someone beside me at work likes to clip away...ugh

kelly said...

gross. really. when i lived in milwaukee, i'd go into work around 7 / 7:30 and someone would be clipping his nails. you could hear it. actually, i wonder if this is a male thing since most stories about this involve males. funny.